Monday, November 10

RE: Why guys are cavemen and why CFAwards is a waste of bandwith and webspace.

Okay, finally got to start on this. Basically I'm writing this because someone disabled comments in their blogpost. This is a reply to the post with the very title listed above, sans the RE:

Most of it is pretty accurate, though tainted with rage. I'd just like to point out, and quote, the things I disagree with, and/or find stupid. (I DO agree with things that are stupid. Sometimes. Most of the time)

I mean, in all fairness, your blog in general is full of crap and misplaced opinions about others but this just takes the cake.
Okay, so the guy's an idiot. You don't have to state the obvious. You're using your opinionated (don't say it isn't, you can't quantify crap and misplaced, who knows, it may be your views that are misplaced) view on his blog to judge his comment. It's a stupid comment, sure, but did you have to bring it up? You're judging his character by what he says in a blog. He could be drunk when blahging, you know. Not the point really, it was stupid to bring this up, and you're giving the impression that you generalize all men like this.

Let's cut the crap guys, if your real intentions were to give a scientific analysis of the demography of beauty in our batch you might as well have posted the whole list. Oh, you didn't want to hurt people's feelings? Too effing late.

The surveyor's real intentions was to quantify the appearance of his batchmates. Besides, who said that he didn't want to hurt other people's feelings? Personally, I say fuckall to that. If you even browsed the site though, you'd see that each page was actually different, and doing that for 74 people, typing down their names et al is tedious work. Why do you think that when even professionals post their results, it's usually in quantities of top x, or bottom y, or even random z. It's cause people are naturally lazy. Posting the top 20 results, is probably what he thought to be a good in-between of comprehensive and least-workload.


Random sampling MY ASS. If I got my info correctly, this poll was conducted amongst backlobbers, dormers and Gazebo-dwellers - not that their opinion doesn't matter, I just don't think that it's the best way to base such a controversial ranking.
Really though, I think your info was incorrect. I saw the actual excel file, it had more than 100 entries. The Gazebo is made up of around 50 guys, more than half of which are dormers, and the dorms themselves are about 80 or so guys. The backlob is the same as the gazebo basically, unless you add the caf. That totals to around 100+ as well, but then you have frontlob dormers and the fact that not all (probably a good number) dormers took the survey, I'd say it's a pretty even mix.

Pikon ka lang kasi wala ka diyan


I'm not the only one who has problems with it - Even the girls on the actual list find it stupid.
Whoever told you the above is an idiot. Also, obviously the girls on the list find it stupid. It's a given that when you are being rated, you feel bad about it. That's why ratings are done anonymously, so that it would be honest. At least now you know how the batch feels about your appearance, though I doubt it would be of any use. Which brings me to my next point. It's all for fun anyway. None of us in the gazebo took it seriously at all. Well, I can't really speak for all of them, but I can speak for myself and the people I've talked to about it. We bullshitted the whole thing. Now I'm not saying that what the surveyor did was right, of course it was wrong in itself to do such a thing. I'm just saying that the intention was "for-fun" and shouldn't be taken seriously (as pointed out by the surveyor himself).


And WTH you guys, this ranking is the equivalent of ranking the guys in our batch by who you think has the largest penis. Because we'll never really know who's pretty inside and out - it's all just opinion, and putting numbers on that is sad.

You do that. In fact, I actually wanted to suggest that he do a survey on what the girls think about guys. Your analogy is way off though. We ranked on beauty, not on size/quality of reproductive organs. Unless you're saying that you don't care about what the guy looks like, as long as he has a large dick, you're happy. I'm not gonna judge though. Basically, if you're gonna do a survey, do it on the appearance/eligibility of the men. Stay on track.

Beauty is relative. Size is relative. You didn't directly state anything insulting, but in implying it, you just make it ten times worse.

Actually, size can be quantified. Besides, basically all penises (or is it penii?) are of the same length when erect. Only those artificial ones are longer. It should be around 7~10 inches IIRC. I didn't do my research though, so don't trust my numbers.

So what was the point of this ranking again?

Oh wait, it's pointless, rude and a waste of time, bandwith and webspace.
The point? Probably nothing, but I'm sure you've done something that achieved no greater purpose except to generate random factoids that have no relevance whatsoever to your daily life. If not, then you should really get out more. Have some fun, be spontaneous. I assure you, randomness is an effect of sponteneity. And technically, it's not a waste of time, bandwith nor space. It accomplished something, it conveys knowledge, however useless, to an audience. For example, I don't like your blog (though I can't say that I don't, having never read it), I can say that it's a waste of space/bandwidth/etc. would you argue? Yes of course! You've worked hard on it. Besides, that's just my opinion right? Well, the same applies to this. He spent time creating this survey, creating the blog it is in (no matter how basic, I mean, my own blog is pretty spartan). Also, it's just your opinion, well, if you do speak for all the women in the batch, it's collectively your opinion. It's still just an opinion. Finally, it's the internet, most everything is a waste of bandwidth. 4chan, personal blogs, Lolcat websites, etc.

For people who say that they were "sincere" in their votes.
I don't have anything against your votes, opinions or sincerity. But the thing is, ranking people behind their backs, regardless of intention and sincerity is like treating them like material things and it's degrading. It would have helped if you had asked the objects of your ranking for permission first, but even then, it wouldn't change how incredibly rude it'd be.
You're ranking people's worth by narrow perception, and the fact that you participated without thinking is in itself something to look out for. You're still responsible, thus my saying: "EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATED SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES You should know better D:"
Degrading it may be, and that is true. I agree with you there. Think of it this way though, I hate to make a generalization, but it's mostly true anyway, you're a girl. You like gossip. Isn't gossip also the same as rating someone (subjectively) behind their back? Also, the Pisay system itself would be degrading now wouldn't it? It's quantifying something subjective such as "learning" and what everyone does is compare their grades. It then degrades the lower-scorer. It treats us all like we're just materials: "Oh, I got a 1.25 in my Mathematics, much better than your 2.5. I'm the better person, blah blah blah." until it comes to a point where "Ah but higher grades means a better college, and a better college means a better job!" You know what the Philippines' greatest export is? People. People who look for better jobs are becoming our greatest commodity. So the higher grades we get just show that we are a better commodity in the job market. It's kind of far off, but I hope you get what I'm saying here.

To summarize, (the tl;dr version):

Yes, what the surveyor did was wrong. I'll admit to that. It was a stupid little survey with no point. It offended you and whoever you represent (I assume this to be all the women of batch 2010), and for that, I hope I speak for everyone who took that survey (which I did, and I'll admit it), I apologize. Yes, we are at fault here, but then again, are we the only ones who are at fault? You're mad, that much is obvious, but next time, don't let your anger turn your thoughts into hyperboles. Don't let it aggravate a situation. It was a stupid survey, made for fun by some people who were bored. Take it for what it is. Random stupidity. Also, don't tell me that your speaking for everyone when you say you are offended. Sure, everyone's offended, but in varying degrees. I bet you, and don't try to deny it, that deep inside, you're also hurt that you're not in the list. Everyone has that green-eyed monster of jealousy inside them. I'm sure it isn't much, cause again, it's a stupid survey, but sometimes, even that little spot of jealousy can cloud your judgement by the tiniest bit. In fact, I myself am jealous that a some people that are close to me, in a way, are in that top 20. I don't know why, I just am. It's the way people are. We aim to be the best, no matter how inane the contest.

Still pretty long. Huh, well, whatever. I'd just like to give a few closing remarks. Once again, I'm not encouraging this kind of behaviour, but when something is being insulted more than it need be, I just have to step in.

I'm sure a lot of you were offended by this, but screw you guys. It's a blahg, nay, MY blahg, I can put whatever I damn well please in it.

I'm leaving comments ON by the way. I'm sure I made a lot of logical errors, but excuse me, it's late, and I just came from Physics.

With that, I bid everyone adieu.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ammapost this reply on my original post ;) i was contemplating comments awaiting regulation but then found out that blogger doesn't come with that feature :P -is too used to LJ- So i disabled comments and just left my cbox open.

thanks for the counter ;) will not bother to reply because 1)the blog's off anyway and 2) you rationalize your thoughts much better than i do *coughhormonalkasicough* :P -huggles-